One of the worst problems you can have during the operation of a computer is when your mouse stops working. Don’t freak out! First, you need to find out if your mouse pad is connected. If it is connected and you are still having problems, there are many ways to fix this problem. These steps will ensure that you overcome the problem in a timely manner.
Operating system not responding
To check this, press the Num lock or scroll lock to see if any lights turn or off. If your keyboard lights turn on, then your computer is not frozen. If the lights remain off then you need to restart the computer and hopefully the mouse will start working again.
Some USB and PS/2 input devices automatically disable the touchpad when connected. Troubleshoot your computer as follows:
- Turn off the computer.
- Disconnect all external devices
- Then start the computer over again to ensure that one of them has not turned off the keypad.
Check mouse settings
It is important to have a good look at your mouse settings to see if it’s part of the problem.
- Navigate to the Start Menu or press the Windows Key and type change mouse settings in the Search field, then press Enter.
- In the Mouse Properties windowthat opens, locate your touchpad settings. They are usually under the far right tab next to Hardware (the name of the tab varies from manufacturer to manufacturer).
- Ensure there is a check in the box next to Enable touchpad.
- Adjust any other settings to your liking, then click Apply, then OK.
- Test your mouse pad.
Checking device manager and updating drivers
Using device manger, you can view and update the device drivers on your computer, check to see if the hardware is working properly, and modify settings.
Corrupt operating files
Corrupt files might be the cause for a malfunctioning touchpad. To fix this issue you need to activate a restore point at a date prior to when the touchpad stopped working.
If you have reached this point and still can’t fix the problem then you should take the mouse to a computer manufacturer or repair shop. Sometimes the problem is out of your hands and my recommendation is to seek professional help. You might need to replace a piece of the computer.
If you’re having mouse issues, you may want to get professionally managed IT services, as this could be a serious issue that you don’t want to mess with on your own. Nevertheless, if you’re feeling brave, you can refer to this guide to walk you through the procedure.
If you don’t feel you’re equipped to DIY, or if you suspect there’s a problem with the motherboard or processor but are not hearing any beeping, then you may want to contact IT support in NYC. E-Valve Technologies has top quality computer repair in New York. Our technicians have the most experience of anyone in the city and we offer our IT Services for the right price. Contact us any time.