Mobility is an important aspect of everyone’s life whether it is for recreational reasons or out of necessity. But what is the best way to transport your wheelchair? There are several ways to get a wheelchair into a vehicle; some require additional equipment while others simply require a little manpower.
If the wheelchair is fairly light, you may be able to simply put it in front of the passenger seat or behind fronts seat on either side. Additionally, you may be able to put the wheelchair in the cargo area (back or trunk). Whether you fold the wheelchair up or leave it open will depend on the size and type of vehicle you have.
If you are unable to lift the wheelchair, you may choose one of several types of equipment available, depending on your needs.
- Ramps allow you to roll the wheelchair up into the cargo hold (boot, back, or bed) of your vehicle. Ramps can be portable and are useful with either manual or power wheelchairs or scooters. Using a ramp requires you to be able to walk from the back to the front of the vehicle or to have someone help you.
- Hoist / Lift. Hoists will lift the wheelchair into the cargo hold of the vehicle. You must be able to walk from the back to the front of the vehicle after using the hoist or have a helper. A hoist is can be used with manual or power wheelchairs or scooters.
- Stowage System. A stowage system allows you to stow your wheelchair in the cargo hold, back seat, or even on the roof. This can be done after you have transferred to your car seat so you don’t have to do any walking. These systems are appropriate for use with a manual wheelchair.
- Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle. A wheelchair accessible vehicle allows you to remain in your chair while travelling in the vehicle. It can be used with both manual and power wheelchairs. The chair enters the vehicle via ramp or lift as either a driver or a passenger.
- Other Options. Racks allow you to mount your wheelchair on the roof or the back of your vehicle while trailers can carry your wheelchair without folding it. A wheelchair bag allows you to tip the wheelchair into the trunk without lifting it completely.
Be sure to contact Wheelers Van Rentals and ask questions to determine the best way to transport your wheelchair. Take into consideration your own strength and mobility as well as the possibility of having someone along to aid you as needed.
Our services include: